Well...Here we are! Saturday 31st October...Welcome to Halloween!...and the Church on the Green. I have been meaning to go down to my local church and take some pictures, because the last time I visited it, I didnt have my camera on me, but spent a good hour having a look around this lovely place...set amoungst Gillinghams 'surburbia' !
This church is amazing...founded before 1086, you really get a sense of history and people that have lived before us...just by walking around it....(if you are interested in the History of my local church...please click here ;) ) 



I absolutely adore this place! Its perfect for when you want to get away from it all! walking Max (our doggie) amoungst the Autumn leaves and conkers....the grave stones and the views of the River Medway are just Divine!


The people that are buried here are from all era's...there are soldiers buried here from when the Dutch invaded back in 1667 to a Mr Palmer Esq who died of Yellow Fever in 1851...I am sorry if you are finding this all rather morbid, but I find this all soooo interesting :)
I love history and architecture....and what better place to live, than Medway, which is so steeped in history, what with Chatham down the road (famous for its world renowned Dockyard!) and Rochester a bit further down, known for the Home of Charles Dickens...you can imagine the beautiful places that we are living amoungst eh!
Ok ok, so we have our dodgy parts! what area doesn't! but I feel we should celebrate our history here in medway...Do it yourself in your area, take a walk and look around...sit on a park bench and take in the history of your area...you see the thing is we are all rushing around these days! driving here and there....not noticing the beautiful places that are staring us in the face!
Our church parish is called St Mary Magdalen and I have often wondered whether the Island that we lived on previously, which was called St Mary's Island, was named after this church, as St. Mary's has had a close connection with the Royal Navy and with the Chatham Royal Dockyard (much of which actually lay within Gillingham) through the centuries....and for very many years our church tower was a navigational mark for ships sailing up the Medway estuary.
Above is the view from around the back of the church...as you can see it overlooks the River Medway!.....there is also ample grounds in the church and although alot of its 20 acres has now been taken away and used for housing (especially the little  cottages that align the surrounding streets, that were built for the dockers) I understand that it was used for a fair held once a year and a market once a week in the 14th century.

Gosh I have gone off on a bit of a tangeant here, but its lovely to find out such things from ones area, don't you think :) .....so anyway whats all this got to do with Halloween! well! it just seemed a little apt if you know what I mean...graveyards and all that! Although this church is not 'spooky' at all! This is my little contribution to this holiday season.


....And if you are religious, please do not be affended by the fact that I have dressed some of these piccies up in Halloweenesq stylie, its just a bit of fun!...something which is still kinda catching on over here in 'Blighty'!...(celebrating Halloween i mean!) You guys from across the pond are sooo brilliant at all the decorations and fun for the kids etc!...you couldn't fly me over there could ya...so I could celebrate with ya'all...LOL! p'haps next year! hehehe!





So come on gals...what are you doing for halloween and how have you decorated the house...have you gone overboard?...Have your neigbours gone overboard? do you love to decorate and make things for this season and when do you take them decs down? what is the most you have ever collected, when you have gone trick or treating? and whats the worst trick you have ever played on someone?


Let me know gals...I would love to hear from you :)



Bye for now and HAPPY HALLOWEEN
Love Happy x

17 comments:

  1. Your blog always makes me smile!!
    I am having my first giveawy so hop over and enter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post with lovely pictures. I'll be staying in tonight with a friend. Nothing to do in Exeter for Halloween, I've done the ghost walk soooo many times I could take it myself :)
    I wish there were more things to do, people use it as an excuse to get drunk & wild but I want ghosty things!
    Happy Halloween :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whooooooooo!
    Happy Halloween Happy!

    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I love those photos! I have that same interest of walking around graveyards, I like trying to find the oldest gravestone and such like! Lol I'm looking forward to this evening, my sister and her boyfriend are coming over to stay. I've carved a pumpkin and with it's innards I've made pumpkin soup. The seeds have been toasted and will be sprinkled on top of the bread I'm making. I don't like to see anything go to waste! :D

    HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so agree with you, we should all take a look at what is around us and where we live! How many times to we go off to other places but take where we live for granted! Happy Halloween! suzie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My whole life my family has always taken walks through old cemeterys. It truly is intresting and historical educational as well. We drive along a road and "Oh there's one lets stop!" Halloween is a biggie at our house we have a three day holiday over it - a birthday on the 30, trick or treat on the 31 and a birthday on Nov. 1 - very busy time. We love it. Check it out at my halloween blog - Cauldron Bubble.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Happy! You should have named this post "Happy's" Halloween!

    I'm a Christian and personally don't celebrate Halloween, but I'm not the least bit offended by your, and other's, fun with it. I enjoy the artistic and decorative things I've seen on blogs this season!

    It's so nice to learn and see more of my sister city - my Medway is so young, only since 1713. Our only claim to fame is it's the birthplace of Grizzly Adams, a mountain man made famous by a t.v. show about him in the 70's!

    I love history!

    ReplyDelete
  8. O wow..I love real life "SpOOky " places and envy your countrys castles. Have on HeLL of a scary Halloween!
    SmiLes
    DarLie
    aka LiBBy BuTTons

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the photos (and I'm a Christian, so no offence taken). Thanks also for the great history of your area, Happy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. All three neighbouring villagers get together at a local farm for a halloween/fireworks/bonfire night,with a prize for the best costume,and a BBQ and mulled wine.
    Nice history trip around your church.

    Happy Halloween...OOOOOOOOH!!


    Bellaboo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really enjoyed reading your blog. It is nice to find other people with the same interests. I enjoy looking around the graveyards too, it gives me a sense of what the people were like who lived in the area.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great old church and all that history is wonderful. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Happy,
    I've been checking in and reading your blog for a while now. Love your use of color! I too love cemeteries...not for any ghoulish reason, but like you, for the history they reveal. I always take my camera. I share this interest with my mother and daughter; though for me it is a passion. My husband and I spent an entire day in Highgate Cemetery in London the last time we visited. I love that the churches all seem to have their own graveyards, unlike here in the states. Also, you are so lucky to be surrounded by history wherever you go. I live in California and sadly we seem to find it necessary to tear everything down and start over after 30 years here on the West coast. The history of buildings and homes are more respected on the East Coast of the U.S.
    As far as Halloween goes, it is suddenly the biggest holiday after Christmas here. Not sure when that happened. When I was a kid it was one night of dressing up and collecting as much candy a you could carry. Now it is a big industry. Who knew?????

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Happy!! I have been a red lippy 50's dress kind of gal for many years, so you can imagine my delight at accidentally coming across your fab site.Where i live i feel like i have three heads when i walk through the town, and its so nice to know there are like minded people in this world (i was beginning to despair).Anyway last night me and my babies (13 n 10)went trick or treating, most of the local kids tagged along too because i am the only one mad enough to be out on a cold night!! Lots of bags were filled with goodies and the like.The only problem is i will probably end up eating them all !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooooh churches are just the spookiest at Halloween!!!

    I love Halloween and so pleased it's becoming more celebrated over here! I went crazy for decorations last year as we did a Halloween themed baby shower for my SIL, this year it was just a few pumpkins!

    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are lovely pictures. I love the old-world look buildings get as the stone ages.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your Hallowe'en post - I think I may have used the same clipart bats for mine! Interesting to read the history of Medway area. I take part in a weekly meme called My World where people from all over the world tell us little interesting snippets about where they live, with photos.
    Janice.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment...I really do appreciate your kind words xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.